POSITION TITLE: HCV Specialist
APPROVED BY: Executive Director
DATE APPROVED: 05/01/2020
POSITION REPORTS TO: Director of Housing Programs
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
The Housing Choice Voucher Specialist is responsible for a wide range of activities relating to determining and documenting participant eligibility, income, rent, and contractual relationships with owners in support of the Housing Choice Voucher Program. The Housing Choice Voucher Specialist may perform admissions, re-certifications, interim adjustments, rent increases, inspections, and deal with both participant and landlord problems. The role will exercise considerable judgment and initiative in carrying out day-to-day responsibilities subject to established procedures, practices, and standards. Duties require considerable knowledge of HUD regulations and the ability to maintain tenant records and prepare accurate and concise reports. The HCV Specialist is required to provide the Director of Housing Programs (DHP) with accurate and timely information on all Housing Choice Voucher cases.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge, skills, and abilities typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. The Housing Choice Voucher Specialist may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
1. Assumes responsibility for reviewing verifying, and processing applications for admission.
- Briefs applicants to explain program requirements regarding Housing Authority, HUD, local and State & Federal policies for admissions and continued assistance.
- Determines applicant and tenant eligibility for admission and continued participation, portability with accuracy and efficiency; calculates tenant rent for admission, interim, annual, and special re-examinations with accuracy and efficiency.
- Verifies information received by contacting employers, landlords, social assistance agencies and other related sources.
- Assesses reasonableness of rent charged for Housing Choice Voucher units relative to local market.
- Processes tenant housing assistance for portability with accuracy and efficiency.
- Interviews applicants for housing assistance to determine eligibility for assistance.
- Remains abreast of, understand, and apply Federal, State, and agency guidelines and policies to determine the type and amount of assistance, if any for which program applicants and participants are eligible.
- Assures that initial and interim billing is issued within established timeline. Monitors payments and administrative fees to assure that receivable and payables are paid accurately and timely.
2. Assumes responsibility for performing assigned housing functions.
- Remains current, understands, and applies federal, state, agency guidelines and policies related to Housing Choice Voucher program.
- Ensures all information entered in computer software agrees with the supporting documentation in files.
- Provides advice and assistance on the locations and selection of suitable safe housing.
- Assists in ensuring that payments are made in a timely manner.
- Prepares, assists, and compiles reports as needed.
- Mediates complaints and lease violations between tenant and landlord/owner. Provides accurate information & knowledge to tenant and landlord / owners questions, disputes, program rights and responsibilities.
- Accurately processes PIC submissions to include resolving PIC errors.
- Investigates complaints of program abuse, documents and takes appropriate action in such case, per Housing Authority.
- Researches, resolves, and provides follow-up on participants' complaints.
3. Maintains knowledge of annual re-certifications, interim redetermination and records management.
- Maintains detailed knowledge of Housing Choice Voucher programs and Inspections under the HUD guidelines and regulations.
- Effectively interprets, communicates, HUD programs, policies, and procedures as they relate to inspections and Housing Choice Voucher case management.
- Maintains thorough knowledge of changes in PIH Notices in accordance with HUD and FWBHA policy and procedures.
- Schedules and performs admissions, annual re-certifications, and interim redeterminations of rent.
4. Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Effectively communicates with FWBHA Senior Management to achieve department objectives, goals, and deadline; informs management of area activities and any significant problems. Uses discretion in disseminating information and is highly guarded with confidential information.
- Complies with FWBHA attendance requirements for non-exempt employees according to the Personnel Policy/Handbook.
- Assists internal and external customers as needed or requested.
- Accurately completes special projects and miscellaneous assignments with prescribed time frames as required. Provides other support assistance and runs errands as needed.
- Attends quarterly meeting with landlords involving changes with HUD regulation pertaining to Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- Attends and participates in meetings and training as required which may include overnight and/or out-of-town travel.
- Ensures work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Adheres to FWBHA policies and procedures. Complies with the Authority expectations of staff.
- Other duties or tasks as may be assigned by the Director of Housing Programs or Deputy Director.
1. Understands and complies with all FWBHA, HUD, and other prescribed regulations; policies and procedures; reporting, training and meeting requirement, and attendance requirements as are appropriate and necessary for the position.
2. Identifies any health and safety deficiencies according to Housing Quality Standards and HUD regulatory notices and guideline on all unit inspections.
3. Maintains a "high performer" Inspection/Units Leased category SEMAP rating for the Housing Authority.
4. Works independently with little supervision and minimal errors in according to FWBHA policy, procedures, and regulations.
5. Exhibits good communication, coordination, and maintains effective working relations with other staff, landlords and clients. Assist the team as needed.
6. Ensures new admissions and inspections are conducted in an acceptable time frame according to the latest HUD regulation, procedure and notices, prescribed by FWBHA and HUD compliance.
Holds self, accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, at work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established procedures and rules.
Makes sound, well-informed decisions; perceives the impact and implications of decisions; commits to action, even in uncertain situations, to accomplish organizational goals, causes change. Exercises significant discretion and independent judgment in pertaining to inspections. Interprets specific policies, regulations, laws, and theories, and makes recommendations to senior management of action to be taken.
Shows understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness to others; develops and maintains effective relationships with others; may include effectively dealing with individuals who are difficult, hostile, or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations; is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, gender, disabilities, and other individual differences.
Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information; listens to others, attends to nonverbal clues, and responds appropriately. Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
PLANNING AND EVALUATING
Organizes work, sets priorities, and determines resource requirements; determines short- or long-term goals and strategies to achieve them; coordinates with other organizations or parts of the organization to accomplish goals; monitors progress and evaluates outcomes.
Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations. Anticipates and takes steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: (1) High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma. Prior experience with governmental case management. Successful completion of HCV Specialist training and course in Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Housing Quality Standards (or subsequently published guidelines) required within first eighteen (18) months of employment.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE: Thorough knowledge of the principals, policies, rules, regulations, and procedures governing Housing Choice Voucher including HUD regulations. Detailed knowledge of related computer applications including Microsoft Office and Housing Software.
SKILLS/ABILITIES: Excellent typing skills.
Accurate and efficient operation of 10-key calculator.
Excellent written and verbal communication abilities.
Attentive to detail and accuracy. Ability to effectively operate standard office equipment and computer programs.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
STOOPING: Bending downward and forward at the waist. Requires full of lower extremities and back muscles.
CROUCHING: Bending downward and forward at the leg and spine.
FINGER DEXTERITY: Using primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
TALKING: Especially where one must frequently convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly, or quickly.
AVERAGE HEARING: Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
AVERAGE VISUAL ABILITIES: Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products, or operate machinery.
PHYSICAL STRENGTH: Sedentary work; sitting most of the time. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. (Almost all office jobs.)
NONE: No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions. (Such as in a typical office.)
MENTAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to deal with a variety under only limited standardization. Able to interpret various Instructions.
MATHEMATICS ABILITY: Ability to perform basic calculations. Ability to compute rent determination.
LANGUAGE ABILITY: Ability to read and interpret regulations. Ability to prepare documents, memos, reports and letters. Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently.
INTENT AND FUNCTION OF JOB DESCRIPTIONS
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees are selected. They are also essential to an effective appraisal system and related promotion, transfer, layoff, and termination decisions. Well constructed job descriptions are an integral part of any effective compensation system.
All descriptions have been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to each position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the positions. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals. However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization.
Job descriptions are not intended as and do not create employment contracts. FWBHA maintains its status as an at-will employer. FWBHA reserves the right to change this job description as needed. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law.