Position Title: Finance Assistant
Approved By: Executive Director
Date Approved: 05/01/2020
Position Reports To: Finance Director
Positions Supervised: None
Responsible to provide extensive support for FWBHA financial management and operations, including owned and managed properties, through data entry, accounts payable and general ledger functions, maintenance (filing and maintaining records and reports in an accessible format) of financial records and reports, and clerical support. Performs accounting duties of moderate complexity in accordance with standard procedures with limited supervision. Assists other personnel, as appropriate.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
- Assumes responsibility for accurately, efficiently, and effectively entering data and/or other information in the prescribed format using Excel or TENMAST accounting management system.
- Verifies accuracy, completeness, and consistency of accounting information received. Code all invoices for the Finance Department as they are received.
- Manage accounts payable/receivable, including tracking contracts and printing semimonthly vendor checks and travel advance and eviction checks as necessary, ensuring that amounts are correct and that all required supporting
documentation, including purchase orders and contracts, are attached. Inputs data and/or invoices in a prescribed format using Excel or TENMAST accounting management system daily.
- Performs calculations, recaps, and balances for requisitions on a timely basis according to HUD-prescribed time frames: weekly for CFP programs.
- Enters and/or modifies the General Ledger account numbers, CFP, and other grants account numbers, modifying budget amounts as directed. Researches balances or General Ledger posting codes.
- Enters deposits, transfers, and adjustments into Cash Management for bank reconciliation purposes.
- Ensure that Board packets are assembled, that all required notices related to Board meetings are advertised and posted, and that sufficient members are notified of the meeting's cancellation.
- Maintain the public housing units, and tenant accounting system, including calculating and printing monthly resident utility bills and reimbursements.
- Prepare Public Housing month-end closeouts.
- Assumes responsibility for performing assigned accounting and related clerical support functions.
- Scans bank statements and other required documents for electronic storage.
- Scans contractor-certified payroll funds and check copies. Sends to Procurement Manager.
- Reconciles bank statements by the 5th of each month and accounts payable invoices by the end of each month. Assists in reconciling travel vouchers and monthly benefits billing/invoices.
- Prepares, assists, and compiles reports as needed.
- Maintains and distributes monthly utility/ consumption reports.
- Previews General Ledger account histories and reconciles trial balance on or before the 8th of each month prior to the Finance Manager finalizing monthly financial reports.
- Sorts, processes, compiles, copies, files, and distributes reports, documents, files, records, and mail.
- Reconciles inventories of materials, equipment, and TENMAST Fixed Assets reports to General Ledger. Ensures all Fixed Assets are issued inventory numbers prior to processing vendor payment.
- Responsible for Accounts Payable and General Ledger functions, tasks, and records management.
- Ensures all purchase requisitions, check requests, invoices, and travel vouchers have the required documentation and approvals.
- Assists in verifying amounts and vendor data for 1099s are accurate.
- Matches purchase requisitions with invoices, enters payment information into TENMAST, selects vouchers for payment, processes checks, and files checks and supporting documentation in an accessible format.
- Oversees fixed asset and Inventory portfolios. Prepares depreciation schedules.
- Runs/exports General Ledger, Fixed Assets, and Accounts Payable reports to include, but not be limited to, the end of the month and end of the year, as needed. Compile monthly account history report for Property Managers.
- Researches, resolves, and provides follow-up on Accounts Payable and General Ledger issues, inquiries, and discrepancies, as requested by Finance Manager. Contacts FWBHA employees, external agencies, organizations, vendors, or individuals to obtain and/or convey information as needed.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Effectively communicates with FWBHA Senior Management to achieve department objectives, goals, and deadlines; informs management of area activities and any significant problems. Uses discretion in disseminating information and is highly guarded with confidential information.
- Complies with FWBHA attendance requirements for non-exempt employees according to the Personnel Policy/Handbook.
- Assists internal and external customers as needed or requested.
- Accurately completes special projects and miscellaneous assignments within prescribed time frames as required. Provides other support assistance and runs errands as needed.
- Attends and participates in meetings and training as required. Receives training as needed for Finance Department back-up responsibilities.
- Complies with FWBHA, HUD, and other regulatory policies, procedures, requirements, and deadlines.
- Reports monthly website updates and post calendar events, etc.
- Other duties or tasks may be assigned by Executive Director or Finance Director.
- Enters all data and/or invoices within the prescribed time frame and format; performs calculations, recap, and balance; with minimal errors.
- Reconciles bank statements by the 5th of each month and Accounts Payable by the end of each month; reconciles requisitions to the general ledger according to HUD prescribed time frames; previews general ledger account histories and reconciles trial balance on or before the 8th, prior to Finance Manager finalizing monthly financial reports.
- Verifies the accuracy of the Dashboard information and reconciles the Excel spreadsheet no later than the 7th of each month.
- Accounts payable functions are efficient, effective, accurate, and timely and meet prescribed policies, procedures, and regulations. Deadlines are met for vendor/contractor payments.
- Works independently with little supervision and minimal errors.
- Understands and complies with all FWBHA, HUD, and other prescribed regulations, policies, and procedures; reporting, training and meeting requirements, and attendance requirements as are appropriate and necessary for the
- A two-year college degree or (2) H.S. diploma/GED and completion of a specialized course of study at a business school or (3) H.S. diploma/GED and significant experience in job-specific skills acquired through on-the-job training or apprenticeship program.
- Detailed knowledge of related computer applications, including Microsoft Word and Excel, including the use of formulas, Outlook, TENMAST, and database management.
- Detailed knowledge of advanced bookkeeping procedures.
- Detailed knowledge of balancing and recording inventory
- Three to Five years of related data entry and accounting experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word, TENMAST, and database management.
- Excellent typing skills.
- Accurate and efficient operation of a 10-key calculator.
- Attentive to detail and accuracy.
- Well organized.
- Cooperative and willing to assist others.
- Ability to effectively operate standard office equipment and computer programs.
Physical Activities and Requirements of this Position
Stooping: Bending downward and forward at the waist. Requires full use of lower extremities and back muscles.
Crouching: Bending downward and forward at the leg and spine.
Reaching: Extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
Finger Dexterity: Using primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
Grasping: Using fingers and palms on an object.
Talking: Especially where one must frequently convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately.
Average Hearing: Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Repetitive Motions: Movements frequently and regularly are required using the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
Average Visual Abilities: Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products or operate machinery.
Physical Strength: Sedentary work; sitting most of the time. Exerts up to 25 lbs. of force occasionally. Must be able to push or pull a loaded hand truck/dolly.
None: No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions (such as in a typical office).
Mental Activities and Requirements of this Position
Reasoning Ability: Ability to deal with a variety of variables under only limited standardization. Able to interpret various instructions.
Mathematics Ability: Ability to compute discounts, interest, profit and loss, ratios, proportions, and percentages. Able to create and interpret graphs. Able to perform very simple algebra.
Language Ability: Ability to read a variety of books, magazines, instruction manuals, atlases, and encyclopedias. Ability to prepare memos, reports, and essays using proper punctuation, spelling, and grammar. Ability to communicate distinctly with appropriate pauses and emphasis, correct punctuation (or sign equivalent), and variation in words using present, perfect, and future tenses.
Intent and Functions of Job Descriptions
Job descriptions assist organizations in ensuring that the hiring process is fairly administered and that qualified employees are selected. They are also essential to an effective appraisal system and related promotion, transfer, layoff, and termination decisions. Well-constructed job descriptions are an integral part of any effective compensation system. This description has been reviewed to ensure that only essential functions and basic duties have been included. Peripheral tasks, only incidentally related to the position, have been excluded. Requirements, skills, and abilities included have been determined to be the minimal standards required to successfully perform the position. In no instance, however, should the duties, responsibilities, and requirements delineated be interpreted as all-inclusive. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by the supervisor(s) as deemed appropriate. in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is possible that requirements may be modified to reasonably accommodate disabled individuals.
However, no accommodations will be made which may pose serious health or safety risks to the employee or others or which impose undue hardships on the organization. This job description is not intended and does not create an employment contract. FWBHA maintains its status as an at-will employer. FWBHA reserves the right to change this job description as needed. Employees can be terminated for any reason not prohibited by law. This job description has been reviewed with me. My signature indicates that I understand and agree to the requirements for this position, and I have received a copy of this job description.