Public Housing Specialist
Position Title: Public Housing Specialist
Position Reports to: Director of Housing Programs
Positions Supervised: None
The Public Housing Specialist is responsible for the day-to-day activities related to the property management of the public housing program and Church Street Apartments. The role will exercise considerable judgment and initiative in carrying out responsibilities, including providing extensive support for public housing rental assistance and operations pertaining to managing the property, subject to established procedures, practices, and standards. Duties require considerable knowledge of HUD regulations and Florida Landlord/Tenant Law and the ability to maintain tenant records and prepare accurate and concise reports. The Public Housing Specialist is required to provide the Director of Housing Programs (DHP) with accurate and timely information on all public housing matters.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge, skills, and abilities typically required and the scope of responsibility. It should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. The Public Housing Specialist may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
Essential Functions and Basic Duties
- Assumes responsibility for the day-to-day activities related to property management.
- Interviews applicants for housing assistance to determine eligibility for assistance.
- Verifies information received by contacting employers, landlords, social assistance agencies, and other related sources.
- Schedules and performs move-in and move-out processing of applicants and participants.
- Remains abreast of, understands, and applies Federal, State, and agency guidelines and policies to determine the type and amount of assistance, if any for which program applicants and participants are eligible.
- Maintains accounts receivable charges and closes out all work orders daily.
- Schedules appeals or hearings and explains procedures to program applicants and tenants. Takes appropriate action based on hearing findings.
- Maintains an accurate wait list for the Public Housing Program.
- Assumes responsibility for performing assigned housing functions.
- Prepares reports and other written statements of the program's activities, as needed.
- Maintains documentation and follows up on all failed inspections.
- Assists with pest control to ensure all areas are being treated according to the guidelines set forth in the contract.
- Assists in ensuring that property is maintained, and rent payments are received in a timely manner.
- Prepares files for eviction for lease violation or nonpayment of rent.
- Mediates, researches, resolves, and provides follow-up complaints and lease violations.
- Assumes responsibility for annual re-certifications, interim redetermination and records management.
- Ensures all annual, interim, and special certification are complete and accurate timely.
- Ensures rent calculation is accurate.
- Ensures all information entered in the Housing Authority Software has supporting documentation in file.
- Schedules and performs admissions, annual re-certifications, and interim redeterminations of rent.
- Schedules and performs annual and quarterly inspections of housing units to ascertain conformance with housekeeping standards.
- Assumes responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Effectively communicates with FWBHA Senior Management to achieve department objectives, goals, and deadline; informs management of area activities and any significant problems. Uses discretion in disseminating information and is highly guarded with confidential information.
- Complies with FWBHA attendance requirements for non-exempt employees according to the Personnel Policy/Handbook.
- Assists internal and external customers as needed or requested.
- Accurately completes special projects and miscellaneous assignments with prescribed time frames as required. Provides other support assistance and runs errands as needed.
- Attends and participates in meetings and training as required, which may include overnight and/or out-of-town travel.
- Ensures work area is clean, secure, and well maintained.
- Adheres to FWBHA policies and procedures. Complies with the Authority expectations of staff.
- Assists in maintaining the implementation of reporting Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing (AFFH).
- Assists with implementation for Streamlining Administrative Regulation, and the None Smoking Rule for Public.
- Other duties or tasks as may be assigned by the Director of Housing Programs or Deputy Director.
- Understands and complies with all FWBHA, HUD, and other prescribed regulations; policies and procedures; reporting, training and meeting requirement, and attendance requirements as are appropriate and necessary for the position.
- Identifies any health and safety deficiencies pertaining HUD regulatory notices and guideline on all unit inspections.
- Maintains a "high performer" status on the appearance and upkeep REAC rating for the agency.
- Maintains a "high performer" status on the occupancy and resident accounts receivable ratings for the agency.
- Works independently with little supervision and minimal errors in according to FWBHA policy, procedures, and regulations.
- Exhibits good communication, coordination, and effective working relations with Vendors and Clients. Assist the team as needed.
- Ensure new Admission and Inspections is conducted in the time frame according to the latest HUD regulation, procedure and notices, prescribed by FWBHA and HUD compliance.
Holds self, accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, at work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established procedures and rules.
Makes sound, well-informed decisions; perceives the impact and implications of decisions; commits to action, even in uncertain situations, to accomplish organizational goals, causes change. Exercises significant discretion and independent judgment in pertaining to inspections. Interprets specific policies, regulations, laws, and theories, and makes recommendations to senior management of action to be taken.
Shows understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, concern, and politeness to others; develops and maintains effective relationships with others; may include effectively dealing with individuals who are difficult, hostile, or distressed; relates well to people from varied backgrounds and different situations; is sensitive to cultural diversity, race, gender, disabilities, and other individual differences.
Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information; listens to others, attends to nonverbal clues, and responds appropriately. Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
Planning And Evaluating
Organizes work, sets priorities, and determines resource requirements; determines short- or long-term goals and strategies to achieve them; coordinates with other organizations or parts of the organization to accomplish goals; monitors progress and evaluates outcomes.
Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations. Anticipates and takes steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations. Manages and resolves conflicts and disagreements in a constructive manner.
(1) High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma. Prior experience with governmental case management. Successful completion of course in Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Public Housing Specialist and Uniform Physical Condition Standards (or subsequently published guidelines) required within first eighteen (18) months of employment.
Thorough knowledge of the principals, policies, rules, regulations, and procedures governing Public Housing including HUD regulations. Detailed knowledge of related computer applications including Microsoft Office and Housing Software.
- Excellent typing skills.
- Accurate and efficient operation of 10-key calculator.
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities.
- Attentive to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to effectively operate standard office equipment and computer programs.
Physical Activities And Requirements Of This Position
Stooping: Bending downward and forward at the waist. Requires full use of lower extremities and back muscles.
Crouching: Bending downward and forward at the leg and spine.
Finger Dexterity: Using primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
Talking: Especially where one must frequently convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately.
Average Hearing: Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information in person and over the phone.
Average Visual Abilities: Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products (printed materials and a computer screen), or operate machinery.
Physical Strength: Sedentary work; sitting most of the time. Exerts up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally. (Almost all office jobs.)
Employee may work in and around buildings and facilities that are exposed to loud noise levels, cold and hot temperatures, inclement weather conditions, road hazards, confining workspaces, chemicals, mechanical and/or electrical hazards, and fumes/odors. Employee may interact with upset public and private representatives in interpreting and enforcing departmental policies and procedures.
Mental Activities And Requirements Of This Position
- Ability to deal with a variety under only limited standardization. Able to interpret various instructions.
- Ability to perform basic calculations. Ability to compute rent determination.
Ability to read and interpret regulations.
Ability to prepare documents, memos, reports and letters.
Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently.